Skip to main content

Belated Valentine's


  The sun light blazed, people were out and about with their own business and it seems like just any other normal day. Yet with just the simple tap on my Instagram app, that day is invariably Valentine's Day. From partner appreciation videos to snaps of gifts from that special one or even your parents, its all lined up for you in your feed.

  Everyone is in a happy mood. Single or not, the day encourages people to go and love those important to you. Whilst it is undoubtedly something we should be doing always, it also one of the hardest and often a forgettable act to do. This morning during breakfast, my phone rang and I was far too deep in sleep to actually get up and reach for it but then I remember how I fought with Kyle a few days ago. It could be a message from him I thought. With reluctance, I grabbed my phone and whilst pressing the power button, I couldn't stop the hope creeping into my heart.

Kyle 

Hi, Happy Valentine's Day. And I'm sorry. Got you your favorite cake, if you want it. 

Today 08:15

  I felt myself grimace and a pang of guilt, he got me Chocolate Banana when I didn't even prepare anything for him. It was a short text which was just so like him but I knew he meant it. He was moving away for Melbourne about two months from now for Uni and hadn't bothered to tell till a couple days ago. Hence, why we fought. Though I know it was mostly fault. I felt hurt that he would hide such big news from me for so long and told him recklessly we should just break things off but I don't want him to go. It's selfish of me I know but I never believed in long distance relationships. My parent almost separated because my Dad was away from home often due to work and then he changed jobs to spare more time home. I stare at the screen; he wished me Happy Valentine's Day so he didn't take my last spiteful comment seriously. I can feel relief and shame hand in hand as I think about my reply. My stomach churned and I decided my first priority was breakfast. So I got up to get ready then found Mom had cook up some fried noodles downstairs. 

  "Morning Mom. Happy Valentine's Day." I said, whilst giving her a quick peck on the head.

  "Happy Valentine's Day to you too." she chirped and I spotted our unused vase finally displayed with some fresh stalk of flowers wrapped in pretty shade of pink paper and adorned with baby's breath. I pointed at it with my chopsticks.

  "Dad gave those this morning?" I asked as I chowed on my meal.

  "Yes, still a romanticist your Father." She answered like she was smiling the whole time saying it.

  "Its so sweet that he remembered." I agreed with her, laying back against my chair. 

  "He used to always do these sort of thing when we were dating. Remembered our yearly anniversary too. They were all fun times." She placed down a hot chocolate for me and I gratefully thanked her.

  "Even after you guys got married?"

  "Well we got less time to go out after that but when things went rough and we argued a lot, he drove home one night and this was when you were out on a sleepover with Amanda two years ago. He apologized and came to tell me that he quit his job not long ago and got one closer to home. He even made sure his workload wouldn't cause him to cave in the office on late hours." My Mom said quietly, her eyes casted down on her drink yet you could tell her gaze was not there. I didn't know what to say. I ran away from the whole thing between her and Dad. The thought of them getting off horrible led to painful scenarios that I didn't want to stick around for. I couldn't stand their fighting or the tension. They probably didn't suspect it but it was why I  stayed over at Amanda's place at the time. To run away.

  "He told me he didn't want to lose me. Us. This family. So I forgave him and now we're meeting halfway." She murmured and I realized that I respected my Dad then. 

  "I'm sorry we put you through that" Mom said as she placed her hand over mine. I looked at her and saw how it burdened her and Dad. I knew then that I must have made them worry over me when all I did was worry about myself too.

  "No. It's..alright Mom. Thanks for telling me this." I said before putting away the dishes. Not a lot of guys would swallow their pride and take the chance to try make amends when they could be too late for it. Not a lot were like my Dad. Or Kyle. Does that mean girls shouldn't own up for themselves? I shook my head at the question because I knew the answer.

  I picked up my phone and my thumbs hovered over the keyboard hesitatingly. I don't know the words to say, nor do I know if we'll be alright after two months but I can't always put things like this off. I don't want to regret it later for not doing anything about it.

Hi. I'm sorry about last time too. And yes, I would like that cake very much. Pick me up in 20?

Today 09:48

  A few minutes after I pressed send, he replied back with only a "yes" but its all I need to feel nothing but a mixture of relief, gratitude and happiness to see him again.
--------------------------------
And that is the first to hopefully a long series of short stories. I know its been almost two weeks since Valentine's but as this story entails; better late than never. I hope you enjoyed it and I also like to ask those reading to please comment what you think about it as well some constructive criticism and if you would like more of these stories.  Have a great day and look forward to the next post. Bye guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tune Favourites

Hey guys. Just a quick correction from my previous post, its not mist, its a haze. Thanks to my ever loving brother for pointing it out. If there is something wrong with my post for me to check out, really feel free to comment on it! So as I said, lately its been a very laidback weather here and these are the songs that carried me through it. I might not be able to list all but just click here and you can find the rest on my SoundCloud. It's been awhile since the last Tune Favourite  and that means I've been listening a ton. 1. "Here" by Alessia Cara (Lucian Remix) This has been basically the soundtrack for my August and even now I can't but be so floored by this singer's voice. I discovered her from a youtuber I follow and never regretted the decision to subscribe to her Vevo channel. While the original is the stuff, I love how it was remix here and every decision made to create it is so spot on. Do check out her other singles like "I&#

Newness

  For those new to my blog, hi and thanks for stumbling here (whether accidentally or not I am grateful). If you generally want to know me, check out my profile so you know what you're in for. For those who knew about this blog, if you haven't noticed, I've made a few changes and this post entails the reason. I'm finishing high school and to be honest, I have no plans on my education past that but we'll eventually have to. However, I decided to take up on writing more despite the on coming responsibilities. I plan to write reviews, expressing my thoughts on  books and movie and the like. Post some outfits as well, just need to work on being able to pose head to toe whenever and wherever I can. So there's thing in my head that will be published in the future and so with that in mind, I decided to change the name (yes *Douglas, I can see you your smug smirk), look and give it slightly more clarity as to what I will post and what are they all about. It

Into The Woods

  Happy Belated New Year! I'm back in Seattle from Oregon, Portland, with so much to say and stories to share but just to attempt to start my blogging streak, here is my review on the recent movie of the musical "Into The Woods". Note: I'm no expert on movies, I consider myself kinda easy to amuse despite my habit of checking rotten tomato critics. And yes there are spoilers. Onto the review! Its about a 2 hour long movie but for a total movie and musical fan like me, it was worth it. Watching it with my cousin who is also a musical lover like me at Cedar Hill's Theatre was a thrilling and wonderful experience. The prologue starts with an introduction to the main fairytale cast, narrated by the character, The Baker, himself. Based off Brother Grimm stories which haven't quite been commonly known among society, it takes you to another altered dimension from the mainstream and happier version of the classic stories we grew up knowing. The ball Cinderell