Skip to main content

She's a beauty

Dinner with my friends recently 
 Sabah is one of many states where diversity of race reigns here. This means we get to enjoy each other's culture and food. I'm Kadazandusun which means I get the best of two traditions; Kadazan and Chinese and I know a lot of people who are part of one tribe and part of another here. So its fun in a conversations with friends. There is always something to learn about another and their cultural ways. Our informal terms like "bah", "kan" and "lah" is something some friends of mine who are new here find interesting and very cool considering it instantly forces the person who you're addressing to familiarize with you in a way that's socially acceptable which is a sure icebreaker here.

Kon Lou Mee, yum.


  In terms of food, as much as my Mom and I struggles to figure out where to eat, there are actually a lot of varieties of food you can try. We have roti canai thats perfect for a nice light breakfast or for dinner. Sang nyuk mian is mine personal favorite for brunch. When I am feeling really hungry, I can feast on roasted duck with sweet sauce wrapped in popiah skin. Food here is really really good in other words and can knock you into a food coma. Tourist also tend to look for familiar food like Western food when they have yet learn to go about on how to order the right local cuisine and Sabah got them covered. So far some of the western restaurants I've tried here aren't bad. My favorite place is Little Italy, their raviollis are heavenly. We also have Japanese restaurant that are really doing well here. If you want, there are also Asian fusions opening up too.




Sabah is aslo known for her nature and beyond-good looks. If you drive out as the sun is rising and you're facing Mount Kinabalu, it takes you to a better place. Puts your morning right when you woke up from the wrong side of the bed. You can't miss this Mountain because one, its the tallest here and two, it demands attention just by being. A lot of people have climbed there but I haven't, though I plan to eventually. There's also plenty of nature in town and tropical trees are our Christmas trees wrapped with a string of holiday lights. I am kidding about the tropic trees but there a lot gardening that goes into the landscape at town. We're also pretty known for the islands nearby which are stellar beach getaways from the busy city life and highly recommended to hang with your friends or out with your family.


Going home in the evening
  There is not much of a hustle and bustle here in the city compared to other big metropolitan places but when its the weekends and there's people out, it can be lively. There places where you can relax, enjoy nature or have a normal tea time at a kedai kopi with friends. Beside people on the go for work, its mostly relaxed, even in the city. There is always going to be a spot you can find where you aren't bothered by noise and can enjoy good company. The energy here is just like summer only all year long. You can expect days where you're glistening in sweat, squinting against the blaring sunlight. Yet there are day when you can enjoy the rainy weather and wind, which assure you of a good nap or sleep. For girls its shorts, tees, tank tops, maxi dresses, and rompers. Guys is gonna be all in light graphic shirts, with knee shorts, slippers and sunnies. So if you're looking for the ideal tropical summer vaca or awesome rainforests with adventures to seek, Sabah is the destination. What countries are you from and what do you love about it? Would love to know in the comments.


Taken on the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tune Favourites

Hey guys. Just a quick correction from my previous post, its not mist, its a haze. Thanks to my ever loving brother for pointing it out. If there is something wrong with my post for me to check out, really feel free to comment on it! So as I said, lately its been a very laidback weather here and these are the songs that carried me through it. I might not be able to list all but just click here and you can find the rest on my SoundCloud. It's been awhile since the last Tune Favourite  and that means I've been listening a ton. 1. "Here" by Alessia Cara (Lucian Remix) This has been basically the soundtrack for my August and even now I can't but be so floored by this singer's voice. I discovered her from a youtuber I follow and never regretted the decision to subscribe to her Vevo channel. While the original is the stuff, I love how it was remix here and every decision made to create it is so spot on. Do check out her other singles like "I&#

Newness

  For those new to my blog, hi and thanks for stumbling here (whether accidentally or not I am grateful). If you generally want to know me, check out my profile so you know what you're in for. For those who knew about this blog, if you haven't noticed, I've made a few changes and this post entails the reason. I'm finishing high school and to be honest, I have no plans on my education past that but we'll eventually have to. However, I decided to take up on writing more despite the on coming responsibilities. I plan to write reviews, expressing my thoughts on  books and movie and the like. Post some outfits as well, just need to work on being able to pose head to toe whenever and wherever I can. So there's thing in my head that will be published in the future and so with that in mind, I decided to change the name (yes *Douglas, I can see you your smug smirk), look and give it slightly more clarity as to what I will post and what are they all about. It

Into The Woods

  Happy Belated New Year! I'm back in Seattle from Oregon, Portland, with so much to say and stories to share but just to attempt to start my blogging streak, here is my review on the recent movie of the musical "Into The Woods". Note: I'm no expert on movies, I consider myself kinda easy to amuse despite my habit of checking rotten tomato critics. And yes there are spoilers. Onto the review! Its about a 2 hour long movie but for a total movie and musical fan like me, it was worth it. Watching it with my cousin who is also a musical lover like me at Cedar Hill's Theatre was a thrilling and wonderful experience. The prologue starts with an introduction to the main fairytale cast, narrated by the character, The Baker, himself. Based off Brother Grimm stories which haven't quite been commonly known among society, it takes you to another altered dimension from the mainstream and happier version of the classic stories we grew up knowing. The ball Cinderell