Skip to main content

Into The Woods

 Happy Belated New Year! I'm back in Seattle from Oregon, Portland, with so much to say and stories to share but just to attempt to start my blogging streak, here is my review on the recent movie of the musical "Into The Woods". Note: I'm no expert on movies, I consider myself kinda easy to amuse despite my habit of checking rotten tomato critics. And yes there are spoilers. Onto the review!


Its about a 2 hour long movie but for a total movie and musical fan like me, it was worth it. Watching it with my cousin who is also a musical lover like me at Cedar Hill's Theatre was a thrilling and wonderful experience. The prologue starts with an introduction to the main fairytale cast, narrated by the character, The Baker, himself. Based off Brother Grimm stories which haven't quite been commonly known among society, it takes you to another altered dimension from the mainstream and happier version of the classic stories we grew up knowing. The ball Cinderella wishes to attend is a 3 day festival. People die like Jack's mother. Red Riding Hood really is a thief though I love Lilla Crawford's melodious voice. All acted by wonderful actors and actresses. 

We have Meryl Streep who lets face it deserves the world for what she does rather than 4 items in the woods. There is Chris Pine and Johnny Depp *swoon*. Familiar favs like Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt, Frances De La Tour and the kid from Les Miserables that broke our hearts when he was shot mid-singing, Daniel Huttlestone! 

If you haven't watched the original musical or isn't much a fan of movie with a lot of singing and quick plot running as well as twisting, then this really isn't for you. Still I loved where this movie carried me despite the tweaks and changes from the original. Every character was relateable. We all had wished similar things they had. To attend a party, to keep good old friends or pets and to give in to temptations. Who didn't want to maintain their youth and beauty? But hardly do we think about our consequences or think about how nothing is ever quite so black and white and simple. As you grow up, life most of the time seem quite grey.

What you should do is check out and bask in Stephen Sondheim's genius by listening in the soundtrack used throughout almost the whole movie to really know what kind of sounds are kicking ass in the cinemas. He perfectly ties the whole vibe and flow in the movie. Sometimes its fast paced and you're wanting to keep up and not miss a thing. And in the next moment he can make you giggle because the best thing about a musical is it can be dramatic for all the right reasons to. Soon he has you taking in what the Witch, Cinderella and the Baker has to say.

The Woods is a place that frequents a lot as a background in a lot of fairytale story. In this musical, it can represent the reality we all live in. Sometimes we change for the better like how the Baker finally learned it takes more than one person to break a curse/mistake. Sometimes people leave you halfway through the woods but never for good. Sometimes our world changes and all we know don't seem quite the same or clear but we're not alone neither are we ever alone in feeling alone. Other times the reason why things change isn't really anybody's fault. Things are just never as they seem, our perception and principal will always be challenged and changed. Happy endings has taken on a whole new level which I love, that it isn't just about love or happiness but maybe also you moving on with better people. As scary as that all is to accept as we thread on our way, the ultimate comfort is we are never alone in all of it. 

A constant reminder:

"Wishes come true, not free."




Have a good month y'all, till next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tune Favourites

Hey guys. Just a quick correction from my previous post, its not mist, its a haze. Thanks to my ever loving brother for pointing it out. If there is something wrong with my post for me to check out, really feel free to comment on it! So as I said, lately its been a very laidback weather here and these are the songs that carried me through it. I might not be able to list all but just click here and you can find the rest on my SoundCloud. It's been awhile since the last Tune Favourite  and that means I've been listening a ton. 1. "Here" by Alessia Cara (Lucian Remix) This has been basically the soundtrack for my August and even now I can't but be so floored by this singer's voice. I discovered her from a youtuber I follow and never regretted the decision to subscribe to her Vevo channel. While the original is the stuff, I love how it was remix here and every decision made to create it is so spot on. Do check out her other singles like "I&#

Newness

  For those new to my blog, hi and thanks for stumbling here (whether accidentally or not I am grateful). If you generally want to know me, check out my profile so you know what you're in for. For those who knew about this blog, if you haven't noticed, I've made a few changes and this post entails the reason. I'm finishing high school and to be honest, I have no plans on my education past that but we'll eventually have to. However, I decided to take up on writing more despite the on coming responsibilities. I plan to write reviews, expressing my thoughts on  books and movie and the like. Post some outfits as well, just need to work on being able to pose head to toe whenever and wherever I can. So there's thing in my head that will be published in the future and so with that in mind, I decided to change the name (yes *Douglas, I can see you your smug smirk), look and give it slightly more clarity as to what I will post and what are they all about. It